Sunday, January 3, 2021

Still believing in Liberty - January 3, 2021


I believe in a modern version of what this Liberty Bell represents.  
It is about freedom from oppression.  It is about freedom from hatred. 
It is about freedom to express our views, especially when they are based on fact and truth. 
It is about freedom for participation in our democracy for all people, without fear of voter suppression or prejudice.  
It is about freedom from waves of rumors, disinformation and propaganda meant to undermine the truth.  
I know, from my years in congregational and community life, how people can concoct a story - a “BIG LIE” - based on rumors and innuendo,  that can take on a life of its own, and no amount of fact and truth will ever change the minds of those who believe the LIE. 
So, now, people are using their freedom of speech to spread a LIE about the election.   No amount of certification of votes by Secretaries of State from both parties, governors from both parties signing on to those certifications, failed court cases related to the election, will change the minds of today’s “believers.”
Neither will a “10-day audit” or a “bi-partisan commission,” because if the “believers” have rejected everything until now, why would they accept the conclusions of any other body, when they base their views only on untrue tweets and conspiracy theories? 
Yes, these “believers” will be there.   I spent years of my rabbinate living with such “believers” and working with them in the congregations I served.  They denied that I was trying to serve the congregation and congregants equally and to the best of my ability.   It was hard work.  I just kept my focus on the “North Star” of community life: progress, education, connection, spirit, and dedication.   
  So the “believers” will still be here, even after January 6, when, I hope, processes based on true democracy and liberty will prevail. 
 I keep hearing that some of us questioned the legitimacy of the incumbent’s election in 2016.   NO.  It was not about the election results.  It was the legitimacy of his rumor-and-ridicule based leadership that is now fueling the “believers.”   That is why we asked the questioned.  We saw THIS coming. 
   This is different, but I can’t stay silent.   I made a special trip during a convention to stand by this icon of American life in 2015, knowing that some people have not known the liberty they deserved to its fullest extent, but with the hope that we can truly build community based on our truths and work together to create a positive and hopeful and strong national consensus that includes everyone, based on respect, understanding and decency.     I think we can still do it.   What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment