Friday, July 21, 2017
Monday, July 17, 2017
You have given us great abilities
To dream, to aspire, to inspire,
To design, to build, and to partner
To reach for high places beyond this world.
Some of us recall crowding in front of our television sets
48 year ago
As two fellow human beings took the first steps on the moon
That belonged not just to the United States of America
But to all humankind.
For a moment, we were united.
We were fascinated in ways that put us in step with one another
All across the world.
Enemies and allies, people who knew of these events at the moment They occurred
Or learned only later
Shared in this great achievement
That demonstrated not our grandiosity
But our humility and sense of wonder
At the globe at which we had gazed from afar for so long
And had never touched and explored.
As we succeeded, at that time, in coming together, if only for a brief instant
So that this lofty goal could be reached,
Lead us now to find ways to work with one another.
When we lift our eyes to the heavens,
May we remember that You, our Creator,
Have provided us with the wherewithal to care for each other,
To lift up those who need assistance, to share knowledge and teach skills that will enable all people to be self-supporting,
Grant us health and the resources to provide the means for all to continue to sustain their health and well-being.
Instill in us a spirit of cooperation that will take us to unimagined vistas and new horizons
That we will yet experience
Whenever we pledge to find ways
to share our hopes, our talent,
Our respect, our understanding,
and our love for one another.
Enlighten our eyes with Your wisdom, Source of Life,
So that our insight will continue to deepen and grow.
Saturday, July 15, 2017
Monday, July 10, 2017
Closing Prayer at Organ Mountains-Desert Peaks Press Conference in support of current monument on July 10, 2017
Saturday, July 8, 2017
THE LINKS FOR THESE SONGS ARE NOW TO A FILE ON DROPBOX SO THAT ANYONE CAN ACCESS THEM FROM A PHONE OR TABLET, AS WELL AS FROM A COMPUTER. HAPPY LISTENING!
Or Lay'sharim (Light of the Upright)
15) Hak'shivah- Listen to My Prayer - Psalm 16 seeks a sense of God's presence, which can be realized when we are present for each other. It is about companionship, love and hope.
Hak'shivah (Listen to My Prayer)
16) L'chulam (For Everyone) - The naming ceremony in the Reform movement's Rabbi's manual includes a reading that was part of my rabbinic ordination service based on a quote by Martin Buber, that each of us is here to fulfill our particularity in the world. I added to the mix a saying of the rabbis that "there is no one who doesn't have his/her time and no thing that does not have its place." This was written in honor of the impending birth of a grandchild....so Joshua Moise Karol, born on 6/1/2017, this is for you!
L'chulam (For Everyone)
17) What it Means to Be Free - originally created in 2013 during the push for new immigration legislation, I broadened the message of the song in 2016, and made it multitrack on 7/4/2017.
What It Means to be Free
18) Owe It All - In 2007, I asked my students at Temple Israel in Dover, NH to say what they were thankful for and, if they were asking God for strength, for what would they make the request. In 2017, I added comments about peace from the 2016 Las Cruces Peace Camp staff and campers.
Owe It All
19) Nashirah (Let Us Sing) - I wrote this song soon after a visit to B'nai Jeshurun in New York City. It is about how music can lead us to joy, soulful expression, gratitude and love. I added to the original 2005 recording additional vocals in 2017.
Nashirah (Let Us Sing)
20) Offerings - I have had the honor of setting to music three of Alden Solovy's liturgical poems that inspired me to create a melody tailor to his words. This is the song which I have recorded with harmonies, with the other two waiting in the wings.
Offerings (Words by Alden Solovy, Music by Larry Karol)
There are even more songs than these that can/will be shared. Please listen and enjoy. That is why this music is here, whether from me or anyone else.