Sunday, January 10, 2021

Remembering Debbie Friedman - January 9, 2021


As I look back through my digital photos, I see there are no photos of Debbie Friedman.  There are slides that have not been digitized from CAJE Conventions, from Debbie’s concerts to a wonderful Kumsitz in 1990, at which Peter Yarrow joined us after an evening performance when he sang, and then Debbie joined him.  
    The Kodak moments imprinted in my memory are many. 
    My first indirect connection was through my brother Steve, who was on Chalutzim faculty with Debbie at Olin-Sang-Ruby Union Institute Camp in 1973.   He brought home Debbie’s “Sing Unto God” album.  
    Debbie visited University of Illinois in 1975, when she did a Friday night concert, our Hillel Choir had a special session with her, and she performed at a Saturday night Bet Cafe at which I sang a bit, as well.   It was then that we realized we had been at UAHC Kutz Camp in 1970 at the same time, when she was a songleader and I was at National Torah Corps. 
    Those are the beginnings for me.  For the rest, all I have to say is....
*Learning, singing and teaching her music religiously, mainly from her albums and bringing it to my congregations 
*Singing in the CAJE Chorale that she directed, starting in 1989.  A particularly special memory was singing in the CAJE Chorale at Hofstra in 2000 standing next to one of my favorite singers, Adam Karol.  
*Attending Hava Nashira at OSRUI nine times between 1999 and 2008 with Debbie present as HN Creator/Faculty member.  
*Singing the Mi Shebeirach at the UAHC Biennial in San Francisco in 2003 at Debbie’s last night concert while standing next to my mom, Ruth Karol, who was undergoing cancer treatment during that time - plus all of her performances at Biennials.   I last saw her in Toronto in passing at the URJ biennial, when we had our last chance to exchange warm greetings. 
   Most of all, what I learned from Debbie was generating spirit and enthusiasm, engendering connection between people, valuing everyone, being open to inspiration to create new music, and lifting prayer to uncharted holy spaces and places in my soul.   
    I was one of the singers who had an opportunity to add a video performance of a song by Debbie Friedman for the Boston-based memorial tribute at the end of January in 2011.    
   Here is an updated video of my contribution to that 2011 collection, for which I chose to sing Debbie’s “Shelter of Peace.”








No comments:

Post a Comment