Saturday, June 20, 2020

Legacy - June 2020

(From  Nehemiah 5:19 - first two lines)
LEGACY 
“Remember for my good, O my God, 
all that I have done for this people.”
For as long as I can remember
I have given my presence
My voice for singing
My thoughts for study
My prayer for communal spirit
My service for support and strength
Informally,
There were conversations about You,
Eternal One. 
There were celebrations 
Gatherings with peers 
That forged friendships 
Some lasting a lifetime. 
There were books and discussions
That stimulated my thought
And refined my beliefs. 
There were visits to ancient sites
That still bear deep meaning. 
Remember for my good, O my God, 
all that I have done for this people.
There were frequents trips
for learning to be a teacher, 
A leader, a source of inspiration 
And a friend. 
There was one walk down the aisle
With future colleagues
And another walk
With my life partner
And we joined as one
Our path of service
And creating a home
Yet to be shared with a future 
Singer, leader, teacher, advisor, friend. 
Remember for my good, O my God, 
all that I have done for this people.
There was worship on days of rest
During seasons of celebration
And at times of solemn commemoration 
There were moments 
Delving deep into treasured texts
Examining pivotal episodes from our past
Fostering ties with family
Engendering bonds in a congregation 
And throughout a greater community
Holding up the values of understanding,
Equality, acceptance and respect. 
There were relationships based in sacred partnership
Sometimes successful and ongoing
Sometimes not
But the triumphs offered reminders
Never to give up. 
As, from a distance,
I look into the eyes of members 
of a new generation,
Sharing my laughter,
Singing my soul,
Offering pearls of my accumulated wisdom,
May the fruits of all that I have done
Remain and still grow 
In the minds and hearts of those who have 
Seen, listened, learned, and walked 
This path with me.
Remember for my good, O my God, 
all that I have done for this people.

No comments:

Post a Comment