Friday, June 12, 2020

Coming back - thoughts on the effects of COVID-19 (and its persistence) - June 12, 2020

Perhaps I need to say this....

   I was asked to write something about my congregation’s approach to coming back in person for worship and programming a couple of weeks ago.   It’s a Board decision, and as I am retiring on June 30, I was not sure whether anything should come from me on the issue in a public statement.  

   After reading about and discussing what congregations are doing, or not doing, what I would say is this: 

1) COVID-19 is not going away any time soon.   Personally, I am limiting my venturing out into the public sphere to necessary shopping for food and medication, medical appointments, necessary auto repairs (my glove compartment ended up on the floor of my car yesterday - it’s fixed!), and maybe a few other purposes.   That’s it.   Congregationally, if we truly care about each other, the presence of the Coronavirus would necessitate, if we were meeting in person, masks, extreme social distancing due to aerosols from our singing even from behind our masks (or NO singing at all), no prayerbooks or constant cleaning of prayerbooks, taking people’s temperatures as they enter the building, limiting the number of people who can come in based on socially-distanced seating capacity, and no serving of food unless it’s individual servings prepared by people with masks and gloves.  But NONE of that should happen while there is still even a modest increase of cases in our area.   That’s still happening now.  We are not ready. 

2) Pikuach Nefesh, saving a life, is a central value of Judaism.  That is one of the things that underlies my approach to this challenge. 

3) I was told in mid March, before Temple was closed, and when we were thinking about it, that we shouldn’t “be afraid” and should stay open no matter what.   This is NOT about fear.  One of the things about New Hampshire that always puzzled me was that adults didn’t have to wear seat belts, while it is the law in all other states and the District of Columbia for adults sitting in the front seat to wear seat belts.   Is that out of fear, or because it’s prudent and wise?   I will go with prudent and wise - same with masks and washing hands.   

4)  I know that there are people who are not dealing well with this lack of contact.  It’s hard. I guess that I have spent my rabbinic career of 39 years approaching challenges with the idea of trying to do the best that we are able in each case.    On that first Friday night after Temple was closed, March 20, I knew exactly what to do, which was to do a service on the Temple FB page on Facebook live.   Soon after that, we began study groups on Wednesdays and Saturdays on Zoom.   Services on Zoom to FB live started in May when congregants began to help lead our worship.  Our Temple Seder was on Zoom.  We just took part in the naming of our granddaughter (in NYC) on Zoom.  Is it real?   Well, almost, but it is the best we can do right now, and if we can master it and stay connected, we have done a lot.    I see it as a triumph.    Some meetings of community groups and friends have taken place in a virtual space that would have not taken place otherwise.   You know, when we give ourselves a chance, we are quite creative, resourceful and resilient. 

5). For those who have had their employment curtailed, there are community groups that may be able to help in some way.  For those who are dealing with health issues and a lingering sadness at the lack of human contact,  there are ways to help with that.   As I said, this is hard.  But we can be here for each other.  Please make your needs known. 

6).  I have not gone out to large groups in the community that have gathered in recent days because, at my age and with my health issues, I am at high risk.  I am doing the best I can to offer support from home, from where I can still share my suggestions and whatever little bits of wisdom I have accumulated over the years.   

7).  Let’s be present for each other as much as possible, and listen to the medical experts as we try to navigate through this passage.   Stay safe and healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment