Thursday, May 23, 2024

Free and Kind Speech - May 21, 2024 (Facebook post)

Recent events have brought to light something I have thought about for a long time and tried to practice: There are times when it’s better to be nice than to be right.   I thought about that when my name was placed on a picket sign in Topeka by a certain family/church. Certain expressions from that group have found their way into laws and policies passed on all levels of government and have been echoed in the words shared in a recent commencement address.   Yes, these folks have freedom of speech.   Of course they do.  Who would doubt that?   And people who oppose those views have a right to speak out, too. 
   A story. 
   I was at an event in Topeka 20-plus years ago to give an invocation, and the speaker was the late Senator Paul Wellstone from Minnesota.  The picketers were outside railing against him and his message and perspectives. I told him that I was sorry that he had to be greeted by those folks and their signs.  He said, “You know that they have the right to demonstrate because of free speech.”  I replied, Yes, Senator, I know, but I just wish they would use their right to free speech in a different way!”  
     Words that are intended to hurt, ridicule, bully, harass, and harshly judge often find their way into the world these days, and are frequently spoken with glee and enthusiasm, with the intention of fomenting division and imposing one view over all others.  
     Words from what one place kicker called, in his language, “the church of nice” (perhaps the “shule of kindness” for me), might actually serve us all better so that human respect and decency might have a chance to flourish and triumph.  
      Perhaps we will get back to that one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment