Sunday, October 13, 2019

The Four Species Have Their Say - Sukkot 5780 - October 13, 2019

The Four Species were very worried. 
“No one is listening to us!”  They all said.  
The Palm was upset.  “I am the one who reminds people to stand up for what they believe.  It’s not about what someone else tells them to believe or say. It’s about what they themselves know is right.  It is so easy for them to follow the crowd.  Sometimes, people have to look deep inside themselves to discover who they are.” 
The Etrog chimed in, “I agree!  I am the one who reminds people to look inside their hearts at how they want to be treated and to treat other people that way.  That means being fair and being kind.   It means that when you know other people are hurting, you have to feel their pain enough to do something to make them feel better.”
The myrtle jumped into the discussion, “You are right, etrog and palm!  I am the one who reminds people to see the world as it is and to have  a vision of what the world should be.   If they see war, they should work for peace,  If they see someone bullying others, they should support the person being bullied.  If they see people acting without any sense of justice and fairness, they should stop the injustice they see happening.   If they see people being selfish and self-centered, they should point out how to be generous and selfless. 
The willow had stayed silent through the conversation, and finally spoke up. 
“I am the one who reminds people to speak up to oppose injustice and dishonesty.  I represent the ways that people can use their words to lift people up rather than to tear others down.   I try to inspire people to speak and act with kindness and encouragement in a way that brings people closer to each other.   I do all I can to put an end to hateful speech, but it doesn’t stop.  I am almost ready to give up.” 
The other symbols all cried out, “Willow, don’t give up. We’ll help!” 
The Palm said, “I will help you stand up for what you believe!
The Etrog said, “I will support you and your wonderfully compassionate heart!” 
The Myrtle said, “I will keep your vision focused on the times when you need to speak up!” 
The willow answered, “And I will be the voice for all of us, because when people hold us in their hands, we can do our work together.  People will stand up, feel, see and speak in ways that will make a difference in the world.  It’s Sukkot!   Let’s get started!”

No comments:

Post a Comment