Friday, August 2, 2019

A life of service - My column for the Temple Beth-El Las Cruces Adelante Newsletter for Augustl 2019


    I sometimes find myself revisiting my reasons to pursue the rabbinate. 
      I didn’t start, in earnest, until my senior year in high school.   I enjoyed my involvement in Youth Group, leading a panel of my peers, the “We Speak for Judaism Panel,” that spoke to churches in our community about the Jewish religion and our customs, practices and traditions.  
     I also became more involved in adding my own sense of spirituality through music at youth events and during special worship services.  
     I couldn’t have done that without my attendance in the National Torah Corps 7-week summer session in 1970 at the Union of American Hebrew Congregations Kutz Camp in Warwick, New York. We studied with rabbis who made a major impact on their communities and on American Judaism.  I had the opportunity to learn chords for some of the worship melodies that we used in my home congregation, which enabled me to add a new dimension to my participation in service music, after singing for several years in the junior choir.   Now, I could be a leader.
     Those pursuits continued at the University of Illinois in Champaign-Urbana, where I ultimately chose sociology as my major, and religious studies as my minor. I engaged in the study of Hebrew and Judaism in a number of college courses that further stablished my foundation of Jewish knowledge.   As a senior in college, the Hillel rabbi and other leaders chose me to be the inaugural intern in a new leadership development program.  I read books on Jewish thought, led a weekly Shabbat dinner at a dormitory, and co-directed the Hillel choir.  After an interview at Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion in Cincinnati, in January of 1976, I was informed of my acceptance at the end of March.
      After five years of rabbinic school, and 38 years serving congregations, I continue to ponder what drew me to the rabbinate.  It was always about my own comfort with Temple life and Jewish tradition.   The music was part of it, but so were the prayers, the teachings, and being part of a community.   And, even more, it was about service and partnership.    I valued learning from mentors when I was an assistant rabbi in my first congregation, but I also have had many partners in making Judaism come alive, lay leaders who were committed to sustaining and enhancing the well-being of a community.   We did what we could to overcome challenges that arose in order to create a sense of joy among our members and an enduring and positive presence in the community. 
     Our recent family visit to Kansas City and Topeka reminded me of all of those reasons for being a rabbi, as we had a chance to connect with former Temple presidents, confirmands, congregants, community members, and friends.   We also connected with family, who have supported not one, not two, but three Rabbis Karol.  
     As a rabbi, I enjoy my interactions with members of all ages, as well as my participation in the greater community. 
     Temple Beth-El’s place in Las Cruces, and mine as well, came to mind on July 23, 2019.
     On that day, I attended the installation of the new bishop of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Las Cruces, Peter Baldacchino.   I began attending the diocese-sponsored luncheon that mostly included priests from around the state and some of Bishop Baldacchino’s friends.  I was impressed with the humility exuded by the religious leaders who were present, and the obvious camaraderie that pervaded the gathering. 
     At the installation,  I joined Pastor Jared Carson, spiritual leader at Peace Lutheran Church, and the Rev. Dr. Margaret Short, chaplain at Memorial Medical Center, in representing the interfaith community to greet the newly-installed Bishop.  
      The service included many moments of celebration, which generated a special spirit among all those who were present.   I saw and greeted a number of people with whom I have worked over the last eight years.   The theme of service was reflected in the statements of the installation speakers and in the songs that were included in the ceremony.  
       What surprised me was the gratitude that was expressed to me by people I didn’t know, over and over.  They appreciated that I was there, representing the Jewish community.   I also think that they see something spiritual, valuable, significant and godly in furthering Catholic-Jewish ties in a world that seems to seek division rather than commonality, prejudice rather than acceptance.
      And it wasn’t only for me that I attended.  I took you all with me through my presence. That is the essence  of rabbinic service to a congregation.  It is about the “we” that we create and sustain whether we are together or apart.  
      As we begin to prepare in the coming weeks for a new Jewish year,  may we remember to connect, celebrate, study, sing, and believe that the community which we create can take us to joy, healing, and hope. 

No comments:

Post a Comment