Tuesday, November 29, 2022

A Speaker in my own voice - a retirement reflection - November 29, 2022

There were times when I could speak my mind and openly express my viewpoint, based on the values of my heritage. 
There were other times when those statements were seen as political rather than ethical, partisan instead of promoting respect and decency. 
At this time of my life, my words can be less constrained and more in keeping with the principles I have learned throughout my life. 
As much as possible, I hope to be, without restriction, 
A proponent for equality. 
An advocate for justice. 
A pursuer of peace. 
A defender of the truth while combating the current conspiracy theories that are hardly different than those that consigned my ancestors to oppression and, perhaps, even death. 
A protector of freedom of thought, expression, creativity, and full participation by all citizens in public life, including voting and assuming positions of leadership, where that freedom is based on mutual respect rather than on sowing division and seeking unbridled power.
A champion of understanding among people of different faiths, heritages, and backgrounds, so that fostering some semblance of unity will not be a pipe dream.  
A seeker of holiness in the human community through music, meditation, study and conversation.   
A sustainer of life on many levels, including the perpetuation of a natural environment that will endure for the benefit of the generations to come. 
A teacher of the tenets that have guided me, and a learner from others of the lessons in the unfolding of their life stories. 
A singer and creator of songs that exude joy, spirit, optimism and deep meaning.  
A human being who will continue to recognize and celebrate the Oneness that binds us all together within this amazing universe, encompassing all of us with love.  
And, always, a speaker in my own voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment