Monday, March 28, 2022

SULAM - TZELEM - B’RACHAH - MIDRASHIM ON WORDS OF TORAH - Written for Alden Solovy’s workshop at the Central Conference of American Rabbis 2022 Convention (Online)



SULAM - Paved Path/Ladder/Highway


I am building a highway to heaven

Inspired by dreams of generations

Constructed with love and skill 

Paved with hope. 

I am building a highway to heaven

Extending it through time and space

Sustained by the wisdom of elders

Maintained by the strength of children 

Enhanced by the prayers of grandchildren 

I am building a highway to heaven

Moving past lands and spaces where conflict reigns

To arrive at a place of security and peace

Where all people can find their true home. 


 


TZELEM - IMAGE 

Eternal One,

I see Your image in the tree branches blowing in the wind as new buds form in the spring; as green leaves rustle in the summer; and as the trees bare their branches moving from fall to winter.
Eternal Creator, 

 I see Your image in the faces of children, and in their voices as words become expression of emotion and thought. 

Eternal Helper, 

I see Your image in people whose hands are extended to help the lonely, the refugee, a friend, a family member, and a stranger. 

Eternal Teacher, 

I see Your image in the passing of wisdom and the ability to reason from dedicated educators to students hungry for learning. 

Eternal Source of melody, 

I see Your image in the hands that make beautiful music on instruments of human creation, and in lyrics that sing Your praise. 

Eternal Companion, 

I see Your image inside of myself when I touch the soul of another human being and find connection and the potential for oneness and peace. 


B’RACHAH - To bless/to strengthen


My blessings strengthen my sense of self when I acknowledge the gifts inside of me. 

My blessings strengthen my family when I am present for them, caring, and giving. 

My blessings strengthen community when I am humble enough to know that it is the community that provides me with fortitude and affirmation. 

My blessings strengthen the world when I can create understanding that will eliminate division and foster cooperation.  

My blessings strengthen all of existence when I allow my soul to be suffused by the spirit of the Eternal Source of being.  

No comments:

Post a Comment