Thursday, September 16, 2021

Separately Together - Yom Kippur 5782 - September 16, 2021

The bimah is not imaginary
When I am not in the physical worship space
It is a stream
Live or recorded
Where the leaders seek to create 
More than a simulation 
But an experience 
To bring us into their space 
On the right day
At the right time 
As much as possible. 
Perhaps my own habits as a congregant
Sitting on my sofa at home
Are drastically different than if I were in a sanctuary
But I listen to the words, spoken and sung
And, once in a while, I am moved to sing or even harmonize
As I might have in years past. 
There were messages on this fast day 
That did penetrate into my mind and soul
My head and heart
Perhaps the most important message 
Is that not being present in person,
And not serving in the role I have assumed for 40 years
Did not stop me from feeling like a part of a community
Where the Shechinah could sense that our home was 
Truly a Mikdash M’at, a small sanctuary, 
Like it always has been.  
I pray that a time when a feeling of comfort
 to pray in indoor public spaces
Will descend on us soon. 
Gratitude goes to those whose expertise made possible
Participation in the rituals of this Sabbath of Sabbaths. 
Safety and healing will offer primary direction for the days to come
Along with the desire to pray, to connect, 
And to find inner tranquility and communal peace.
May we be sealed for a year of understanding and togetherness
That will lead us to back to each other’s side.

No comments:

Post a Comment