Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Zoom-versary - March 13, 2021

Zoom-versary #1 is approaching.  
   It was about a year ago (3/17/2020, I believe) that I acquired a Zoom account on behalf of Temple Beth-El in Las Cruces.   It was several days after we had cancelled our trip to New York City for our granddaughter’s baby naming, which was postponed (and held via zoom/livestream 2 1/2 months later) and the day after the last gathering at Temple for a worship event (a wedding).  
    First there was a board meeting on Zoom. Then Shabbat morning Torah study, my Wednesday Tanakh/Bible study group, a local interfaith study/book discussion group, the Temple Second-Night Pesach Seder, an Adult Bar/Bat Mitzvah service, conversions, and Religious School (all-school for one hour).  The first Friday night service I led on Zoom was May 15.   We celebrated two Passover Seders with family on the first night on Zoom.   
    My retirement was approaching in June, and congregants at TBE began taking broader roles in leading services.   The retirement event, which honored both Rhonda and me, was moved to Zoom and held on June 25.  It was fortuitous that we were not in person, as I was dealing with debilitating back pain throughout June. Mainly, the event brought people together from all over the country.   It was a demonstration of the silver lining presented by this platform.  
    I have attended classes, webinars and several conventions on Zoom, starting with Summer of NewCAJE last July/August.   I have led funeral/memorial services, the study groups mentioned above, and more services.  I have joined with several of my Jewish music colleagues for the West Coast Sing-Along, which is based in Zoom and live-streamed to Facebook.  
    I officiated at a memorial service in the last week which people attended in person (masked and socially distanced) which was also presented on Zoom, via my iPad set up next to the speaker’s spot while organized by a Zoom-master from another location.  
    Through all of this, I have not done one Zoom poll or organized breakout rooms. 
     There is still time to learn those new skills.    
     Zoom is not the best, by any means, because we will always prefer to create community in person, especially when the fear of spreading the Coronavirus has subsided. 
      Nevertheless, I am grateful for the opportunities to connect and study and sing that it has made possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment