Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Thoughts on Songleader Boot Camp 2021 - February 15, 2021

 
A few insights gained from Songleader Boot Camp (on Zoom) 2021 so far
#SLBC2021

*All songwriters write crappy songs (that we usually never get to hear) so don’t worry if you write a song like that (Rabbi Joe Black) 
*Your “brand” as a performer/songwriter/professional is how you communicate what you are about.   There are always people looking for what YOU do!    To have a brand, it’s important to understand what problem we solve as we address our place in the world with our music (Joe Buchanan) 
* It’s good to be a descendant, but one should also be an ancestor.  You can inherit, but you must also bequeath.  (Rabbi Micah Greenstein) 
* What do we do when one world dies and another world is born?  Jews know the answer to this question from our long history.   Rebuilding our world comes on the other side of laying the previous world to rest. 

I am enjoying being in my own personal space for this SLBC, seeing new faces, some people I know, and reconnecting with people in ways I did not expect.    And I am glad to hear the voices of Jewish singers of all ages.   

This musical part of me began when I was heard singing the Shema on the swing set in the back yard at age 3 or 4.  

It will continue, and new nourishment reinforces my ever-growing musical foundation.

No comments:

Post a Comment