Thursday, October 8, 2020

Reminders of the virus of hatred - October 8, 2020

The juxtaposition of criticism (by the resident of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue) of Michigan Governor Whitmer this morning in a television interview with the announcement of arrests related to a plot to kidnap and execute Governor Whitmer by members of a Militia, likely connected to the armed protests at the Michigan State Capitol earlier this year, is uncanny.   This is not a coincidence.  
   I am reminded that there were people like this in Kansas when I served as rabbi there, which may have been connected to the phone message that came to Temple after the beginning of Desert Storm, “I’m gonna kill me a rabbi.”  
    I am reminded that it was a militia network in the mid 1990s that broadcast one of Pastor Fred Phelps’ sermons around the Jewish High Holy Days, “warning” me, by name, and my congregation that our sins would not be forgiven by God because we did not have the blood of Jesus’ crucifixion cleansing our souls.   
   I am reminded that there are people in my current state of residence who are using militia tactics.    I am reminded that there are people in this state, including business owners, who have portrayed our governor as a fascist dictator, trying to take away their freedom, when the rules for dealing with the pandemic were meant to PROTECT everyone’s lives. 
  And I am reminded of the words of the “resident” of 1600 PA Ave this morning, calling the law enforcement response (directed by the NY Governor and NYC mayor) to sometimes violent protests (which were also in favor of the “resident”) by Chassidic community members as fascist.  Sorry, it’s too hard to use the real word. 
   Of course, to this “resident,” protests in HIS favor are all right, whereas protests that oppose him and his policies are not.  
    WE ARE WATCHING, WE HEAR EVERY WORD YOU SAY.

No comments:

Post a Comment