Saturday, September 26, 2020

“Return” - A reflection for Shabbat Shuvah 5781 - September 25, 2020

As the Shabbat before Yom Kippur (Shabbat Shuvah) begins, we think about the need for return to the path that we know is best for all of us together. 
   Perhaps I should ignore the horrible things people wrote in comments on the livestream of the service for the late Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg this morning.  Rather than seeing differences of opinion as disagreement, they resorted to character assassination. 
    Perhaps I should ignore comments like, “the only way I will l lose this election is if it is rigged,” with accusations and rumors flying.  That means that if I go to vote and don’t vote for the man who made that comment about cheating, then I am a cheater.  Sorry, when I cast my ballot legally, that will not be true. 
    I cannot ignore any of that.
    I also will not ignore the people who are decrying these comments, who are now targets of criciicism because of their truth tellling. 
     I will not ignore people who want to see our community members come together, even when disagreements exist, so that compromise that can accomplish much, can win the day. 
     I will not ignore dishonesty. 
    I will support truth-telling that is not based in vindictiveness and rumor, but in a desire to help us make the best decisions we can as individuals and citizens.  
     "Forgive all iniquity and accept the good; and we shall offer the fruit of our lips,” says Hosea in the Haftarah for this Shabbat. 
     May we rediscover what is good and speak of it and do it together.




No comments:

Post a Comment