Sunday, August 16, 2020

Unexpected Counsel (A Midrash on Retirement) - for Parashat Shoftim - August 16, 2020


    “You shall appoint magistrates and officials for your tribes.”

      I heard Moses announce that to all the people.  

    “Justice!  Justice shall you pursue!” 

     I heard him say that as well. 

     I was one of those magistrates appointed 39 years ago, when Moses’ father-in-law Jethro paid a visit and recommended that he delegate his exhausting caseload of hearing disputes between one Israelite and another to people “who were trustworthy, who spurned ill-gotten gain.”   

     That was when I started hearing cases.  

    It was difficult.  We were in the wilderness.  There were few boundaries between people as we traveled from one place to another and encamped for a short time in each location. 

    “They shall govern the people with due justice. You shall not judge unfairly: you shall show no partiality.” 

     That is what Moses just proclaimed to the Israelites.  He told us that, too, way back when we started.  

      Showing no partiality was not the hard part.   The reactions of the people between whom we judged was difficult.   

    Some would accuse me and my fellow magistrates of being unfair, even when they knew they were clearly in the wrong.   

     Others would praise us for our efforts to view everyone with a lens of equality, even when the decision did not go their way 

      Did I make mistakes?  Yes.   Did I try to rectify them?  Yes, I did, whenever possible.   I know I am created in the image of God, as my parents taught me from when I was young.  I know all of us among this wandering community are intricately connected, one with another.   That is why I tried to be fair. 

     “You shall not take bribes, for bribes blind the eyes of the discerning and upset the plea of the just.”  

      Moses needed to say this again and again.  Did people try to influence me and my colleagues through bribery?  They did, but, fortunately, not often.  We immediately rebuked those who did (as far as I know).    We knew how important it was to be trustworthy throughout our careers. 

     At that point, my time of serving as a magistrate was over.  We had trained a new generation of judges over these years.  Moses’ declaration for officials to pursue justice was the culmination of all of our teaching. 

      I was wondering what I should do, as a rank-and-file Israelite.   

     I stepped away from the people for a few hours.  Then, I saw a figure approaching.    

      It was Moses, who was preparing to deliver the next part of his farewell address.   

      “Peretz, is that you?”  

    “Yes, my teacher Moses!  It is. You remembered! I came here to think about what I should do next.” 

      Moses looked at me with concern. “Peretz, why would you wonder what you should do?  You have been one of my most reliable and consistent magistrates.   People appreciated your thoughtfulness in your decision-making, and how you helped them grow in character as you announced your judgments.  You should rest.”  

     I was grateful for the guidance, but I was still was unsure of my next steps.  “Moses, I know that your time as leader is coming to a close, and that you will soon be succeeded by Joshua as you remain on this side of the Jordan.   I will be crossing with the Israelites into the land which we have been waiting for so long to enter.   What can I do?”

     Moses didn’t hesitate to answer.  “Peretz, you know so much from your many years as magistrate.   Continue to teach.  Impart your wisdom.  Reveal to the new generation of judges how to truly be impartial.  And, more than that, go among the people and teach them how to be fair with one another and to how treat each other with a sense of respect and decency in their daily lives.   Living in the land might provide a sense of security to every Israelite, but the nature of relationships will not change.   There will be misunderstanding, impatience, cruelty, and a lack of hope.  You can help people to treat one another with compassion, and even love.” 

     I had listened intently.  Moses’ words overwhelmed me. “That all sounds like more than I did when I served as magistrate, Moses!  How can I make all of that happen?” 

    Moses reassured me.  “You don’t have to do it all at once, Peretz.  You saw how we moved in the wilderness from one place to another, step-by-step, learning along the way how to be a people.   Establish one goal for yourself every day.   It doesn’t take being a person with a formal position to make a difference in this world!” 

     “Thank you, Moses.   I know what I have to do, and we know that all of us must emulate your humility and your special spirit.    I will do my best.”  

     “I know you will, my son.  I must return to the people now to continue imparting my teaching.  Can you help me walk back to the place where I need to stand?”  

     “Yes, of course, my teacher.” 

      I knew that I was about to perform an act of kindness and support as a “regular Israelite” that I would long remember. 

       Many more would follow. 

  

    



No comments:

Post a Comment