Sunday, March 31, 2024

His Bible I don’t want - March 30, 2024

His bible I don’t want. 
I don’t need my bible draped in images of a tri-colored flag
Bound with a popular song of nationalistic meaning
Announced with a directive that I need to pray more
By someone who likely prays very little 
Or attends worship sparingly or only for show. 
His bible I don’t want
When it comes with an implicit claim
that only one version of the Bible in translation is authentic. 
The best way, I believe, to understand the text
Is by studying it in the original 
And/or
with many translations in front of you
Discussed among people seeking understanding
From many backgrounds and levels of knowledge. 
His bible I don’t want
When its dissemination seems to say 
That only one faith is legitimate 
And others might not be.  
I believe in separation 
And I oppose a move by someone running for high office
Seemingly establishing one religion above others 
(or above other choices for personal spirituality). 
Ask the first president what he felt about people of all faiths
Or no faith
Living in a country together. 
He declared that 
All that was asked of its inhabitants
Was to be good and decent citizens. (That was 234 years ago). 
His bible I don’t want.  
Others who do…that’s on you. 
But if you get his bible,
Read Leviticus 19, verses 18, 33 and 34. 
Before you read anything else.  
And let their message stay with you and guide you
Whenever you are told that you should hate or avenge 
or seek the demise of 
A neighbor or a stranger, 
Because those verses say QUITE the OPPOSITE. 
And, by the way,
Those verses
Are in my bible, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment