Tuesday, November 14, 2023

In response to seeming silence - November 14, 2023

The silence of many in this space (some community partners, but not others) and around the world about the hostages taken by Hamas on October 7 is quite deafening.   I find it ironic that among those taken and murdered were peace activists, and, also, that among the hostages are more than just Israeli Jews. 
   I am saddened that this conflict has come to this current state.  I support all of those people and groups that, even now, persist in their efforts for dialogue across divisions that can preserve hope for peace.  I lament every opportunity for rapprochement that was lost over the past 100 plus years.  
    I stand with my friends and family in Israel who are trying to maintain their optimism and sanity in this moment.    My heart goes out to you. 
    With the loss of life in Gaza and Israel over these 30 plus days, I pray that the shared grief among those who remember will become a foundation for connection, rather than a cause for more conflict.
    But, for the moment, there is most definitely a need to root out hatred, whether among movements or nations, some of which is feeding attacks based on the politics of the region. I am feeling that hatred, and loneliness, as are so many of my family members, friends, and fellow community members. 
  And to you who fail to acknowledge the presence in Israel of Jews (and their descendants) who were suddenly, in 1948-1949 (and decades later), unwelcome in the Middle Eastern countries where they had lived for centuries, I suggest that you read about that history.  None of this is as simple as you make it out to be.  
    I am sitting at home, but not a bystander, as I pray for the return home of the hostages, for greater understanding that could overcome hatred, and for eventual peace in a region that needs no more war.

No comments:

Post a Comment