Saturday, July 22, 2023

In my small town - July 22, 2023

I have lived in communities with a population of just over 100,000 for much of my life (37 years).  
I can say this with authority out of personal experience. 

In my small town
People have a chance to get to know each other
Across differences
Beyond divisions 
Because they forge common ground
Through sharing stories
Through working together 
Through caring. 
In my small town
People know what it is 
To do justly
To act with compassion towards people in need
To show kindness 
And to walk humbly.
In my small town
People become leaders 
Who understand that they must value
Responsibility over power
In order to maintain the welfare and well-being of all citizens, 
And residents, 
Viewing them as neighbors 
Whose presence is welcome and valued. 
In my small town
It is true that no one is above the law
And that it also must be true
That laws promote equality for all 
and not privilege for a select few
And to apply disciple in a way that 
Makes positive growth possible. 
In my small town 
People of different faiths and philosophies
Talk to each other with respect 
In order to promote a level of understanding 
that directs them to continue their conversations indefinitely. 
In my small town, 
Children learn about who they are
And who their peers are 
So that everyone can be who they are
With pride and without fear
So that they will become adults who truly fathom
What it means to be human. 
Is my small town a dream? 
No. 
 It is simply up to us 
To make it real.

No comments:

Post a Comment