Tuesday, December 31, 2019

A Prayer for continued service (on my semi-retirement)

Eternal God, 

Who has been my companion, along with family and friends

Throughout my 38 1/2 years as a rabbi, 

Be with me 

As I begin a time of semi-retirement 

While still serving my congregation as rabbi over the next six months. 

Help me use my time wisely, 

To turn voluminous collections of resources 

Into their essence, 

A manageable amount of materials 

That will accompany me in the coming years. 

Enable me to look back with gratitude, 

Not only for my time as a rabbi, 

But for the opportunity to participate 

as a dedicated Jewish community member 

As a choir member, 

A leader, 

A teacher, 

A student, 

A colleague 

A partner in sustaining Jewish life

And a friend 

Before and after my ordination. 

Help me to continue to be that person 

As I learned from my parents, my family

And my best teachers along the way. 

May I see this new chapter

As a fresh opportunity 

To define myself 

By the values that I have been taught

And tried emulate and practice 

For all these years:

Humility, respect, decency, justice, commitment, 

Love and peace. 

God of my days and years, 

Guide me along this uncharted path

So that I may continue to serve and give 

To the human family

And to this world

That needs us all to step forward

To shape a hopeful, bright and secure future.  

No comments:

Post a Comment