Friday, July 19, 2019

Blessing all the people (A Modern Original Midrash) - D’var Torah - Parashat Balak - July 19, 2019

The prophet Balaam had been called by Balak, the King of Moab, to curse the Israelites, who were encamped in the desert. 

He ascended the mountains nearby with the Moabite monarch, a vantage point that provided him with a view of the entire people.   

But he knew that he was not in control of all of the words he would speak. 

God had told him that he would only be able to say what God allowed. 

Balaam told the King about this caveat, but Balak insisted that Balaam fulfill his mission. 

Before he began, Balaam stepped away, telling the King that he needed a private moment. 

“Balaam!”   God called. 

“Yes, Eternal One, I hear You.”  Balaam was fearful, even though he had already heard God’s instruction. 

“What are you doing?  Go ahead - go back and speak.” 

“I still want to curse them, God, but I know You won’t let me do that.  So, if I bless them, whom will I be blessing?”    

God, as much as God could be, was puzzled.  “What do you mean?” 

Balaam replied, “I have heard stories about the Israelites.   Moses is a humble, spiritual and powerful leader that this people has followed for many years.   Some of the people have doubted him.  Others rebelled against him.  You give them food and provide them with water in the desert.  They should be grateful.   Do they all really deserve blessing?” 

    God was a bit startled, but answered forthrightly. “The stories you have heard are true. They have worn Moses down too many times.   They have worn Me down, too.  Even when I wanted to give up on them, Moses wouldn’t let me.   So here we are, tied together in an eternal covenant, with rules engraved in tablets of stone and in the teachings of leaders to the people, and parents to children.   They were slaves, and now they are free, and at least most of them are grateful.” 

    Balaam was moved by God’s commitment to this people.   And then he asked, “God, do you love them?”   

     God was pleasantly surprised by the question.  “Why, Balaam, yes, of course I do.   Just because they have doubted me doesn’t mean I don’t love them, and I feel their love in return.” 

     Balaam posed one more query.  “God, do they love each other?  Are they a people that will teach about what it means to love one another?” 

     God replied, “Why, Balaam, does that matter to you?”  

    Balaam responded, “Because I was called here due to the hatred of a King that wants to see this people cursed to the point of extinction.   If all I can do is bless them, I want to bless a people that will dispel hatred and spread greater respect and love that will end the conflicts that plague us all too much in this world.”

     God reassured the foreign prophet, “You have nothing to worry about, Balaam.   I will guide them, inspire them, direct them, and teach them from one generation to the next.   They will learn from one of their teachers many centuries from now, ‘What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbor.’  They will see their experience as slaves as a reason to treat the stranger with compassion.   Is that enough of a reason for you to bless them rather than utter curses that will destroy them?”

     Balaam quietly replied, “Yes, Eternal One.   If my blessings will begin a process of bringing conflict to an end in the distant future, I will bless them.   Can you guarantee that this people will be moved by my blessing in the generations to come, enough to spread love, respect and hope?” 

     God replied, “Even after all I have been through with the Israelites, I have faith in them as they believe in Me.”  

     “All right, I am ready.”  Balaam walked back to Balak the King, and began uttering his prophecy.  

“How fair are your tents, O Jacob, Your dwellings, O Israel - MAH TOVU OHALECHA YA-AKOV, MISH-K’NOTECHA YISRAEL.”  

     


No comments:

Post a Comment