Friday, November 16, 2018

An Angel on the Ladder - D’var Torah - Parashat Va-yaytzay - November 16, 2018

I was an angel on the ladder in Jacob’s dream. 

Oh, you say that it wasn’t real?

That it was just in Jacob’s mind? 

Think again. 

God called all of us angels together 

as Jacob laid down to sleep,

Putting his head on a stone 

After leaving home, knowing he could not return soon. 

God said, “We have an opportunity 

To impress a notion upon Jacob

That will stay with him for the rest of his life. 

I can’t speak to him directly,

But whatever happens in this dream,

He will most definitely remember.

I need to reassure him that the promise made 

To Abraham and Isaac

Of many descendants 

And a land

Will rest upon him as well. 

What more should I say?” 

I said, “Be kind.”

Another angel suggested, “Be respectful.”

Yet another called out, “Be loving.”

A fourth said, “Show compassion.”

A fifth pleaded, “Listen to people’s stories.”

A sixth replied, “Be a unifier.”

God told us,

“Those are all great suggestions, 

But I don’t have a lot of time to speak to Jacob 

During a dream.  Who knows how long he will be asleep?”  

I thought for a moment,

And calmly said,

“Eternal One, now that I think about it, 

I believe that Jacob needs to learn through his own experiences

To be kind, respectful, loving, and compassionate. 

Maybe what he needs to do first is sense Your

Presence in everyone and everything. 

Once he feels that deep in his soul, 

Kindness, respect, compassion, deep listening, 

and working for unity will naturally follow.”

God thanked me profusely. 

“That is exactly what needs to happen.   

I won’t even have to tell him.

When he wakes up, the thought that

I was in that place where he slept for the night

Will overwhelm him.   

And he will name that place the House of God, Beth-El. 

And I hope he will realize that everywhere he goes,

And in eyes of everyone he meets,

I will be there.”

So Jacob dreamed of a ladder reaching to the heavens, 

With our team of angels going up and down on it. 

God promised Jacob a secure future. 

When Jacob was stirred from his sleep,

He said, “God was in this place, and I, I did not know it!”  

And when you - yes, you who are listening to my tale - 

dream at night, or even when you daydream, don’t be surprised

If we angels are there

To inspire you 

And

To guide you

To lead

To learn

To teach

And to be open

To finding God

In every person

And throughout creation. 

May the God who is in you and around you

Open your eyes and connect your hearts one to another.  

Amen. 


No comments:

Post a Comment