Friday, October 26, 2018

When I See Strangers Coming - Parashat Vayera (Genesis 18) - October 26, 2018

Eternal God, 

When I see strangers coming

Remind me that they are potential guests

Rather than probable enemies

When I see strangers coming

Help me to prepare to be a good host

To provide food, drink, warmth and a respite

For these travelers who might be weary 

When I see strangers coming

Enable me to see them as possessing wisdom

From which I may grow

And stories of their varied experiences

That might teach me lessons for my own life. 

When I see strangers coming

Do not allow me to automatically cower in fear 

And put up impenetrable defenses

But give me the patience 

To speak directly with them

To gain an understanding of who they are

And what they might need

In order to continue on their journey. 

Or, if they want to remain among us,

May I be free with suggestions and assistance

That will facilitate their transition to a new home

And a new life. 

When I see strangers coming

Who approach without hostility

Whose hearts are open

And whose hands may be empty 

Due to oppression in the land they have left behind

Open my heart and guide my hands to reach out to them

To lift them up in their time of need

For they are not an emergency to be met with force

But, instead, bearers of a chance

For me to show 

That my people’s  history 

As strangers 

Will lead me to be

Warm and welcoming 

And to give them what my ancestors would have wanted

Upon their arrival to this new land:  

Care, hospitality, love, and hope.  

Blessed are You, Eternal One,  who gives me the opportunity

To extend my hand to the stranger 

Who, like me, is created in the image of God.  

No comments:

Post a Comment