Wednesday, June 27, 2012

A Temple Volunteer’s Psalm - June 25, 2012


Eternal One, Creator and Sustainer of all life,
help me to serve my congregation
with a sense of selflessness and a generosity of spirit.
Teach me that even the small tasks that I do can be great
and that every time I step forward,
I am seeking to raise myself to a higher place
as I join others in creating and shaping 
a sacred community.
Help me to see that healing comes 
from the patience and forgiveness
that I offer to others and to myself,
and that warmth is generated 
when I willingly extend an open hand
to a newcomer who seeks a sense of belonging
or to a member who hopes to deepen
his or her commitment to our heritage.
Remind me that I set an example 
every moment I am with my congregation
of what our community can and should be:
a place that reflects the best values of our tradition,
including unity, equality, cooperation, mutual respect, 
compassion, and humility.
Enable me to understand that what I do is for Your sake,
that the reward for my volunteerism 
is the overwhelming feeling of connection 
that I derive from giving.
Instill in me a sense of gratitude 
for the opportunity to give
and with a desire to show others how grateful I am
that they have been willing to serve, to give, to help,
and to create lasting partnerships and friendships
among members of all ages.
Grant me the wisdom to see that I need to be present in many ways for my fellow community members
in times of sorrow, offering support and hope.
Give me the insight to foster a sense of celebration and joy 
when we mark life’s milestones
and when our collaboration yields new ideas, 
ongoing successes and growth.  
May I join with my community to create a culture of honor
which will always highlight how the intangible gifts 
that each of us brings to our community
will make others want to join us along our common journey.
L’chayim – to life – for all of us as we seek the One
who keeps us alive, who sustains us, and who brings us
to each new chance to serve and share. 

No comments:

Post a Comment