Saturday, December 1, 2018

The Angel Who Sent Joseph on his Way - Parashat Vayeishev - D’var Torah - November 30, 2018

I didn’t want to go. 

But I was told I had to go. 

I knew about Joseph’s dreams

And his conflicts with his brothers

Because Joseph seemed to be expressing delusions of grandeur.

That view was only the understanding

Of the rest of his family.  

He was only telling them

Of the visions that had come to him as he slept. 

He was a dreamer then

But not yet an interpreter of dreams. 

That would come later.   

God told me,

“Go meet Joseph when he is searching for his brothers 

At the behest of his father.  Show him the way.”

I didn’t want to go. 

I told God, “Eternal One, you know what will happen if I tell Joseph

The location of his brothers. 

They are conspiring, even now,  

to exile him from the family one way or another. 

And we know, God, what will happen. 

They will sell him and he will end up in Egypt

Where he will meet his destiny.

His dreams will come true. 

His father and his brothers will bow down to him. 

He will be in control of the situation

Because he will learn to explain the dreams of others. 

But why, God, must he spend so much time in prison? 

Why must he suffer to make his dreams come to pass? 

God reassured me, “I will make the time pass quickly. 

People never know how one moment 

Can be so important, so pivotal, to their future. 

You have to be there to point him in the right direction.

His brothers will not appreciate his presence when he finds them. 

But they will remember after he is gone

After they have lied to their father about the death of his favored son

That Joseph had come to them 

In peace and in service to them and to the family. 

You, of all angels, know about brothers who will eventually

Find their common bonds

Find their connection

And find, on some level, the love between them. 

I sent you to be with Jacob before he met with Esau after so many years, 

And they reconciled, but only because you did so well

In wrestling with Jacob, helping him to find his true self, 

giving him his new name, Israel.

If you send Joseph to greet his brothers, 

Even knowing what they will do to him in the moments to follow,

You will set in motion the survival of Joseph and his whole family. 

So go, send him on his way.  

He will find himself, and his place in the world.

And he will be reunited with his brothers and save them.” 

I thought for a moment, and said, 

“Eternal God, my teacher, my guide, I will go 

Only if you promise to grant Joseph and every human being

An extra measure of compassion 

So that when they feel they are conflict with each other

To the point of no return,

They will be able to deeply sense each other’s feelings

To understand one another

And they will remember that they are brothers and sisters, 

Part of the same family.” 

God told me, “If you go send Joseph on his way,

I will grant your request.  People will be so inspired

By the story of the eventual reunion of Joseph and his brothers

That they will find a way to do the same with each other.  

Even when people feel they are far apart,

They will still find a way to come together.”

So I went, and I prayed for the reconciliation of humanity 

Throughout their generations 

So that they would know

Harmony and peace.  


So may there be among us.  


No comments:

Post a Comment