Saturday, June 24, 2023

To My Ancestors - June 24, 2023


Praise to the One and the ones

Who guided Your steps 

Who helped you to forge your path

That led you to this place. 

As I sit just miles from where you settled 

In this new world, 

I marvel at how you made such a drastic change

In your lives and lifestyle. 

I had no chance to ask you

Why you left the land of your birthplace

Your ancestral home 

To put down roots in the American midwest. 

I now know that the bonds that had held siblings together

Were broken by time and by distance,

Leaving it to us in the present, 

To search, 

To inquire, 

And to intensely study 

Photos, records, documents, and even letters

To try to piece together 

Your story.   

We don’t always get it exactly right. 

What I have learned is that

Immigration 

Naturalization 

And even “Alien Registration” 

All figure into the sweep of your tale

And my heritage. 

I will continue to hope for more information

Knowledge

And facts

To come to light

Because it is through learning about

Where you began

How you reestablished a home 

So far from your point of origin 

And why you undertook such a journey

That, I believe, 

I and the generations to come 

will find greater meaning 

In our past, present and future. 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment