Thursday, June 3, 2021

Time in Las Cruces was about learning, coming together - Column for Las Cruces Bulletin, June 4, 2021

  

   As Rhonda and I prepare for our move to the midwest, we are remembering that it was a decade ago, at this time of year, when we were preparing for our transition from the New Hampshire sea coast to the high desert of New Mexico.   Our fascination with “real water” up there (with Atlantic beaches 20 minutes from our home) easily pivoted to becoming mesmerized with amazing mountain vistas and captivating sunsets.  

       While living in New Mexico, we became parents-in-law and, then, grandparents of two wonderful and inquisitive human beings who live in another state and city that begins with “New.” 

      Closer to our current home for the next few days, I have been thinking about how our time in Las Cruces has impacted my rabbinate.   

     The diversity of identity, heritage, and faith in Las Cruces offered opportunities for learning and engagement.   Annual gatherings at Temple Beth-El, held from 2015 to 2019 on the Sunday before Thanksgiving, sparked lively discussions on the themes of gratitude, hospitality, humility, standards for human decency,  and principles that can form a foundation for unifying and just leadership.   

    There were two “by the border” programs of the Jewish Federation of Greater El Paso that illustrated where we really are, beyond our geographic location.    In 2015, members of the Jewish communities of El Paso, Las Cruces and Juarez gathered together for the “Shofar (Ram’s horn) Across Borders” event at Border Monument One just before Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year.   That was an event marked by trust and celebration. The same event in 2019 was held at the border wall.  We reached through the slats to shake hands with our neighbors to the south, and united our voices in song and sounded our shofars together.  We felt a strong sense of reunion and connection.  It was a moment of hope that others in our region would ultimately recognize their common humanity.  

        In Las Cruces, I have been part of an ever-growing circle of relationships with people of different generations inside and outside Temple Beth-El. There were workers at coffee shops and our local pharmacy of choice who would call me by name and, sometimes, by my title.  I had in-depth discussions about the nature of community with the person whom I put in charge of necessary clothing alterations.  And, yes, I would see congregants and clergy colleagues at local stores quite often!             

       In my presentations at schools, houses of worship, and for local organizations, I found people here willing to learn about my tradition as I was open to become more enlightened about their personal stories and values.   While speaking at the Southern New Mexico Islamic Center Iftar meal this past May 6, I noted that one of the common teachings that Judaism and Islam share is that when we preserve, sustain and support even one soul, one person, it is as if we have saved the entire world. Other philosophies and faiths would likely agree with that maxim.      

       “Seeking harmony” has been the title/theme for my monthly column over these last several years. I am grateful to the Las Cruces Bulletin for granting me this space to share my reflections, and I thank Temple Beth-El and Las Cruces for giving Rhonda and me the chance to be active participants in community life. 

       May your future be bright (beyond the frequent sunshine) and may all of you go from strength to strength!     





No comments:

Post a Comment